Home Blog Building Regulations – What You Need To Know

Building Regulations - What You Need To Know

If you’ve read our recent blog post about us unveiling our brand new extensions service, then you will know that the government has just permanently relaxed planning laws for single-storey rear extensions.

Dining Room Extension

Both announcements will be very welcome news for anybody considering extending their North East property as they can do so with the aid of an extensions expert and potentially less red tape than previously.

We use the word ‘potentially’ because of an extension possibly being objected to by nearby homeowners during the Neighbour Consultation Scheme that you still have to go through.

It’s also due to the fact that a home extension needs to comply with building regulations before work commences on it.

Under no circumstances should you proceed with the construction of a home extension until it has been ascertained that it fulfils building regulations. If you don’t, you run the risk of it falling outside of the necessary parameters and being forced to modify or knock down the extension.

You shouldn’t find yourself in that position if you have an awareness of building regulations. They are as follows:

  • At ground level and not exceed 30m2 floor area.
  • Glazed to satisfy the requirements of Approved Document K of Schedule 1.
  • Physically separated internally from the building it is attached to, for example, by a door.
  • Without sanitary appliances.
  • Not intended for year round habitable use.
  • Used to some extent for the propagation of plants.

To put your mind at rest that your extension satisfies building regulations, contact the planning department at your local authority and ask them to send you an Exempt Buildings Form.

Outline all of the details of the extension on this form and then submit it back to them. On receipt of it, they will assess the plans and decide if they’re happy for the extension to be built. It will take several weeks for you to receive written confirmation of their ruling.

Keep hold of their written confirmation when they approve the extension so that you can pass it on to the next occupier of your house.

Please just don’t make the mistake of thinking that an exemption from planning permission automatically grants you building regulations approval – it doesn’t!

Putting Pennine in charge of your extension will stop you running into any problems with the planners. Kick-off the project by booking an appointment with us.

Read what's going on at Pennine

Why It’s Important To Have A FENSA Certificate For New Windows & Doors

Homeowners wishing to have new windows and doors fitted at their home once normality resumes need to be advised of the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme (FENSA). …

Read more

Why You Should Check If A Solid Roof Needs Building Regulations Approval

We’re so grateful that the weather has been kind to us over the last few weeks and let’s hope it continues into the summer.  Only…

Read more

How You Can Measure Up For New Windows And Doors

We haven’t experienced any drop-off of interest in our window and door range during lockdown, but it makes sense as spending all this time indoors…

Read more
Get a quote now! Request a brochure Virtual Appointments

2020 All content © Crownfold Ltd T/A Pennine Home Improvements.

Crownfold Ltd is the trading name of Pennine Home Improvements

Credit is subject to application and affordability. Terms and conditions apply. Minimum loan value £1,000. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Pennine Home Improvements (Registered Company No. 2342225) act a credit broker and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Credit provided by Hitachi Personal Finance, a trading style of Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Register no. 704348).